View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 06:41 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
I have been bombarded with messages on my blog for over a year from a guy who owns one of these Griffey/Welch cards and I have said this same thing over and over again and he just isn't interested in hearing it. Specifically that there are a wealth of different black/white, wrong back, superimposed image, print scrap 1989 UD cards out there and while the Griffey will garner real interest, it isn't a pack-issued super rarity crazy money card. "Well I can't find a copy of this ONE so you must be wrong!" is usually his response.

And on the erased/altered UDs, I had no idea that they could be re-glossed. The Sheffield sounded legit because two separate sources had info on them and they were large in quantity. You'd think there would've been large qty forgeries of Ben McDonald, 2nd year Griffey or one of the other hot out the gate 1990 UD cards.

LOL, Dylan I know exactly what you mean, I have been an junk era error collector since the junk era and have run across many people like you describe.

I recently had a guy with a obvious home made card try to convince me it was a 1/1 prototype.

There is a special type of gloss that will only stick to the parts of the card that has been altered. It makes detecting it really hard because you don't have the normal too thick of gloss around the edges of the altered part that most gloss leaves.