View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Todd Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Ah what might have been. Had Calvin just been a little less frugal (which is like asking water to be a little less wet). And If that last weekend in 1967 had just gone a little differently, it's possible Dean wins his second Cy, or at least one could have hoped. Horlen finished second in the voting, but Chance's numbers were pretty much the same as Lonborg's, so if the Twins win that weekend and take the flag there may have been some momentum there. I always thought it a shame that only Lonborg and Horlen got credit that year. Lonborg had 22 wins to Dean's 20 and had 26 more Ks, but Chance had a much better ERA and WHIP, more complete games and 5 shutouts to 2--he was more dominant than Lonborg. Horlen had that great ERA and 19 wins, but wasn't a strikeout pitcher. Chance should have got some votes and respect there--just sayin.

Oh, and for years it was recognized that Dean threw two no hitters in 1967, and less than three weeks apart at that. The first was rain shortened and so is no longer recognized, even though he was perfect through five against the eventual champion Red Sox. Oddly, he gave up a run in the second no-no, so both were unconventional.

Great memories. RIP Dean.
I totally agree, it would have been nice to find out what could have been. Dean Chance will always be one of my favorite Twins even though his time was short with the Twins. I wish Cal would have just given him what he wanted, maybe he would have won another 20 games, who knows maybe, just maybe, we would have not had to wait till 1987 to win our first World Series. We will never know!

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22