View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I can't believe I'm actually justifying PSA'S services, but....

I and many others were negative about 3rd party grading when PSA first came up. To a large extent I still feel that way about high grade postwar cards. So I'm with many of you philosophically in terms of concern about plastic slab and label collectors being more concerned with the holder than the item. That said, there is definitely a place in the hobby for the service in at least two ways:

--Internet/Ebay sales: As is the case with cards, when I buy a graded card from a reputable service I stand a very good chance of getting what I bought. If people want to collect photos without amassing years of experience in the nuances or want to deal with Ebay purchases with reasonable reassurance as to what they get, this will help.

--Preservation/Protection/Display: Storing photos in sheets is an imperfect solution--too much movement and flex for some items--and the top loaders that are available are not archival quality. My compromise has been to put the photo in an archival sleeve then into an oversized top loader, which means I look at the image through two layers of plastic that isn't that clear anyway--not a great solution from an enjoyment perspective. I also don't particularly like framing vintage autographed photos and putting them on the walls. Great way to wreck an autograph, especlally in a less than museum quality lighting situation. And if I want to display something temporarily then take it down, what do I do w/it--that framed item is a real storage nightmare. Not to mention the cost of a good frame-up, which far exceeds the cost of a slab and thus is not practical for a lot of items.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...