View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 11:59 PM
Eldon

Question Newbie mistake - what is wrong with my Clemente rookie?

Hi all - first time poster with a request for some info. Made a newbie mistake and hoping for some advice. May I never re-live this stupidity. I know, if I want a PSA slabbed card, I should buy one!

Recently purchased a 1955 Topps Clemente rookie on Ebay rated BVG 6.5. I"m sure you can still find the sale from early August. Card looks sharp, to-size, and pretty well centered. Since my goal is to complete a Clemente PSA set, I had grand delusions to break it out and submit to PSA, which I did. Of course, the card came back N5-Altered Stock. I've looked this thing over and over up close, under good light, and compared gloss, etc... to another fully authentic 1955 topps card and I can't tell the problem. My best guess is that it may be sheet cut, especially since it doesn't have any edge with that "fuzzy" edge look like I see on a lot of the other 55 topps cards.

Before I start resending this thing back to PSA over and over hoping for a miracle, or hoping that BVG will re-grade it and get it back into a slab, does anybody have any other ideas? Is it true that PSA won't really tell me anything?

One more thing - I did notice that on the front, there is a small area (approx 1/4 inch by 1/8 inch) along/near the bottom edge under the "OB" of "ROBERTO" where there appears to be some missing gloss. It is really only visible at an angle under bright light. Maybe more evidence of sheet cut or ???

Here are a couple of pics. Hoping somebody can help me know if it is a lost cause to try to get this into a PSA slab, or what my options might be. Worst case, I would try to get re-slabbed BVG. I'm not opposed to SCG, but I guess they are as strict or more than PSA...

Thanks!