View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 AM
Jeff Lazarus

There are 2 kinds of lineup cards, the ones that hang on the clubhouse wall and the ones the managers fill out and give a copy to the opposing manager and the home plate ump.

In the first example there are generally just a single copy for each team, but for important games teams/mlb often make replicas. They will sell these and at times they are authenticated as well. You need to check what the authentication was since sometimes it is a replica with an authentic signature.

For the smaller ones (which only have 1 teams lineup on it) there was usually 3 copies (one for each manager and one for the ump). These were what established the official lineup for each team for the game. For decades they used carbon paper so that they wrote one and 2 copies were made. Recently they have just been printed and signed so no more carbon copies (can’t speak for every team but I’ve seen printed ones from a few teams). I saw a listing last week from the Twins where the seller (eBay) said that the molitor signature was also printed on. I read somewhere iirc that they made 6 lineup cards for Ripken’s record breaking game so at times the number may vary.