View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
A few YEARS?!?!?

So basically, If you're in a country illegally or doing something illegal, then it's OK to use a false or incomplete name. But if you are a law abiding citizen of a country, you must post your full, legal name.
Technically I suppose.

He wasn't doing anything illegal besides staying. We didn't get into the why, but he was a student (Legitimately, not a "student" who drives a cab full time or something- if I remember it right he was in a graduate program. ) Then employed. We didn't know until he moved home and admitted it. He was and while I've become less active, I believe still is a member who contributes more than most.

The group overall is a lot like this one, a good deal less contentious, and we're usually all on a 2-3 post a day limit to keep the traffic level manageable.

Other rules there -Ah heck, there aren't many, I'll just post em all!
Welcome to the Classic Rendezvous community!
This group should be viewed as "a gathering of friends who have been invited into the list owner's garage to talk about vintage lightweight bikes."

1. Sign off all messages with your first and last name, plus your city, state, and country. No abbreviations. New members are encouraged to provide a short profile of themselves.

2. Please stay within the time line (up to & including 1983 but not after) or to "Keeper of the Flame" items, i.e., contemporary, made by tradition methods, small workshop bikes or components.

3. "For Sale" postings should be for pre-1983 or be distinctly "Keeper of the Flame". Items may be only be posted one time and items should be accurately described with a set price and attached photos or photo links.

4. Do NOT use the CR group to maximize the selling prices or as a tool to establish "value. "What is my/your/this item worth?" is an inappropriate topic. For this, search online auctions such as eBay.

5. Please make every post substantive in which every message contributes to the communal knowledge base. 3 messages maximum per day/per member.

6. Please do not send "Attaboy," "Me too", or jokes. These posts waste bandwidth and jokes are too often misunderstood and create strife.

7. Civility is #1 in importance! No obscene (as the list owner views it), scatological, rude, off-color, vulgar, ugly, demeaning, or insulting language. Use thereof will result in instant removal!

8. Commercial messages are OK IF they are specifically On Topic and are not repetitive.

9. Our focus is the early 1900s to 1983, and "KOF" or "Keepers Of the Flame". Off Topic are modern welded, injection molded, or glued bicycles, mountain bike, "middle weight", BMX, recumbent, and balloon-tired bikes. Also Off Topic are components that are post-1983 or are harbingers of a new, aesthetically "modern" era (like cycle computers, clipless pedals, index shifting, etc.)

The list owner is actually somewhat flexible, if you're contributing to an interesting thread, 4-5 posts will probably slide.
And if you ask first, stuff that's borderline off-topic (Nearly my entire collection) can be ok on occasion. At least he's pre-approved every one of my posts that were borderline off-topic.

By the way, if anyone is super interested in racing or serious touring bikes made before 1983.. It's THE place, just like this is THE place for old baseball cards