View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 09:29 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I wanted to give this a friendly bump to see if anyone else had anymore opinions. The smoking gun would be to identify the name of the team on this players shirt with the name of a team Maranville played on in his youth. Which I haven't been able to do, but his facial features do look similar if not exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Very close resemblance, but not quite the same ears (they don't stick out enough on top). Maranville was pretty "stumpy", so I wouldn't expect him to look so lanky vs. his peers. Also, I haven't seen many tintypes from the early 1900s...that's typically a 19th century medium. That's my 1000 foot view. Good luck!
If the sides of his head was buzzed shorter in the tintype then I do believe his ears would stick out more. And based off the players equipment, the picture was definitely taken in the early 1900s. Tintypes were still used during that time but more as a novelty/fun photo so it's still plausible. I will agree with you that the teen in this photo does look rather lanky, whereas Maranville was only around 5'5''. But you could assume that the teen was going through a short growth spurt and teens in general are rather lanky until they get stocker in their 20s & 30s. Still, that is a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Just a point...I believe his ears are sticking out to a similar degree, but in the earlier photo he has fuller hair on the sides of his head, while in the older photo he is sporting a much closer cropped hairstyle, accentuating the stickoutingnous (new word, please start using it) of his big ol' flappy ears.
Brian
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
+1 It would be quite late for a tintype. It does look like him though, quite a bit.
I will agree with you that it is rather late for a tintype, but if you look at the equipment the teens are wearing it looks more early 1900s than late 1800s. And in my research people still did tintype photos in the early 1900s, but yes they were rarer.