View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Usps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Unions should have been done away with with the advent of the internet and social media. The USPS needs to be privatized in a big way. And their benefits need to be more in line with the mainstream, not the way they are now. I am pretty sure it's really, really difficult to get fired and that isn't good for anyone except crappy employees who NEED to be fired.
During my Postal career, I was fortunate enough to be able to work in 63 different Post Offices, often doing quality control types of work. What I noticed is that in nearly every Post Office, 95% of the employees were good, hard working people who were trying to do a good job for their customers. Then, there was always the 5% who were worthless and should have been fired, but it is nearly impossible to fire someone. I have had Union stewards complain to me that they spend most of their time defending and protecting employees who should be fired, and the stewards were just as frustrated as the managers.

As far as pay and benefits, nearly everyone who has been hired during the past 10 or so years is making roughly 60% to 70% of the hourly pay that the older employees are making. These new people are almost all part time workers with very limited benefits. Even long term employees are being squeezed. I was a Postmaster with 35 years of service, and my share of the health insurance plan was $933 per month.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.