View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 11:44 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Default BGS 'raw card review' gets rejected

I don't normally use BGS grading but had a nice Beckett RCR 9 (raw card review) that I wanted to get in a better slab. This was my first (and last) RCR card. I had heard that the grades on RCR cards are necessarily guaranteed but I wasn't expecting the card to be returned to me - removed from the RCR 9 holder - as 'ALTERED'. In an email exchange with Beckett, I was told that cards like this are 'graded' at shows with poor lighting etc and that the grades aren't guaranteed.

OK, I get that. This '9' could be an '8' etc. But how can they put an 'altered' card in a RCR 9 holder? The card in question is a 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken Whiteout. No question - the card appears altered but how was I (the buyer) able to examine the card properly inside that sealed RCR holder? Poor lighting or not. I assumed Beckett did that and assigned a loose grade. I trusted the Beckett opinion when doing the purchase.

Does this mean every 1986 Fleer Jordan in a RCR holder could be altered (or fake) as well? Does the RCR review guarantee anything? If not - why offer it?

Is the seller responsible for selling unknown altered cards in RCR holders? I was offered some store credit - but for not near what I paid. I don't want to blame them - they trusted the RCR label as well.

When BGS (or others) do crossovers that appear altered, they wouldn't crack them out of the other companies slab. They'd simply return it - as is. Makes it hard for the buyer to return the card. It's out of the sealed holder now and basically worthless.

/rant

Update - BGS did refund me the grading fees but I'm still out shipping and of course the original price paid for the RCR 9.....

Last edited by jp1216; 07-05-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: update