Thread: ACC numbering
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Tom Boblitt

To build on Rhett's FANTASTIC work...........

For the A&G's for instance.....and the others that he initially describes in the N series..........

A&G N1-N34 are small (normal T206 type sized) cards (lithographed)
A&G N35-N44 are large cards (lithographed)
A&G N45-N54 are photo cards (varying sizes)
A&G N57-N67 are 'special issues' (varying sizes)

So he does a very similar thing for Duke/Goodwin/Kimball/Kinney and most of the others from there on too.........

Small cards(lithographed)/Large cards(lithographed)/Photo Cards/Miscellaneous/Special

He also left spaces throughout for future updates.

If you look at the E cards................
Starts out based on size, then goes to manufacturer, then goes to hodge-podge

Normal sized (T206-type) cards
E1-E8 Military Subjects
E15-E19 Flags
E26-E34 Animals
E40-E51 General Subjects
E75-E80 Prizefighters
E90-E107 Baseball

Then by manufacturer for E120-E211
Then to unclassified for E220-E258 (for A to Z)
Then it looks like he starts over for E259-E262 and other groups as different iterations of the ACC were published. Adding a few each time till he gets to where he ended up in 1960 edition.

I have photos of all of the E cards in Burdick's 2nd E card album in the Met for some research and it's interesting that some of the sets are completely unrepresented in his albums and some are complete. I always was under the misconception that he had ALL the cards but there were many sets he had but a few examples of and some he didn't even have a single one.

It's still amazing he was able to correspond with so many people and organize things into the book he did without email, fax, ebay, scanned images, etc. I can only imagine how difficult it was to receive all these handwritten or typewritten checklists and try to create the ACC. There are errors in it but on a whole it's stood the test of time for 70+ years.

Last edited by autograf; 05-26-2011 at 02:53 PM.