View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 02:48 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Please take the following as some constructive criticism.

I would forget using a percentage of book value like Beckett. This may have been the best approach years ago, but I believe a much better way to price raw cards in today's environment is to figure out what you believe the grade is and then look at recently completed sales from Ebay, VCP, or PSA's auction values (https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/) for graded cards and then subtract a certain percent to reflect that your card is not graded (or look at the value of the card a grade or 2 lower for comparison). That is what I would expect to get. Obviously, you want to maximize what you get as much as possible and also leave room for negotiating/discounts/fees/etc when pricing your card at a show.

The biggest issue with this approach is you need to properly grade your cards. Unfortunately, the only way to learn that is by handling a lot of cards and also by being critical of what you have. This is not always an easy thing to do as we tend to think the best of what is ours. Looking at the Aaron you have on the BST (and the front only), I think this probably would only grade a 2 (Good) due to multiple creases/wrinkles, surface issues, soft corners, etc. I don't think this card would be considered anywhere near VG/EX. For comparison, here's your card and a PSA 4. With this in mind I would probably price the Aaron at $25-30 and jump at any offer over $20, maybe even a little less if the customer is buying more stuff.

E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers