View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Default E90-1 Series Mystery solved?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I'm not sure that I am...."one of the most knowledgeable people in regards to E90-1". But, thanks for the kind words.
However, I have studied the E90 and E91 sets for years. With respect to the difference in colors of the last series vs
the 1st & 2nd series, I'd say that you are on to something.
Here are my observations....American Caramel printed the last series mostly with solid (pale) colored backgrounds, as
compared with the active poses and artistic, colorful backgrounds of the 1st & 2nd series.

For instance.....the same Reddish-Orange background color on CYoung (Clev), McLean, Leach (throw), Gibson (back),
Chance, Bescher, and Bemis. This particular solid color is not found in the earlier series.
Note, I have added Chance to the last series, instead of my earlier pick of Donlin. Donlin was in the 1909 series.

Then there is a repeated pale Orange-Green (with fence) background on Karger, Lobert, and Shean (also not found in
the earlier series).

The Green backgrounds in the earlier series are a deep color, while the last series cards have a pale Green....such as
Bill Sweeney and Upp and many of the cards with a partial Green.

An additional factor in determining the Subjects in the last series is team representation. For unknown reasons the two
Boston teams and Cincinnati were virtually unrepresented in the set until the last series.

And, Subjects such as Duffy, Karger, Keeler (NY NL), Shean, and CYoung (Clev) are obviously in the 1910 (last) series
reflecting team changes late in 1909.

So Scott....I might be convinced to modify my thinking to include 30 cards in the 1910 series (consistent with 30-card
sheets).

However, American Caramel originally intended 100 Subjects (as adv. on the backs of these cards)......rather than 120
Subjects.
That is basically why I have always considered 20 in the last series.

Anyhow, if we concede that there are 30 Subjects in the 1910 series, how does this list sound......

Bemis
Bescher
Chance
Clarke (Pittsburg)
Duffy
Fromme
Gibson (back)
Peaches Graham
Karger
Leach (throw)
Lobert
McLean