View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Default 1952 Topps Jackie on eBay

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

Must admit some of those look pretty good. As with any card, unless you're an expert in that particular issue, you would need to see it live and louped. The Mays maybe a complete fake altogether by a quick look at the colors and oddly white border but I'm no expert in that issue and would need to see it in person.

Typically the places to look on forged flips are the letters "G" and the numbers "5" and "0". The number five generally has a more closed bottom loop. The number zero is often seen as much narrower on the fake. PSA's print quality is usually not as clean. I call it slop print...but it works.

For the most part, we are seeing printed flips made from scratch or the front photo doctored. Other than what I have made, I have yet to see a real flip doctored. If it's not already here...it's coming though. If I can do it, so can others.

From the pic alone of the first 64 Mantle's, the left has the appearance of being photoshopped. I made some color adjustments to show the possible cover-up. Plus, the top of the flip seems to overlap the seal. Or it could be a forged flip placed inside..it does look like the sides and top a are bit frosted. The card on the right has what seems to have the traditional PSA print...with the closed bottom "5's."

64mantlesfh6.jpg

The bottom 64 Mantle's look much better. The right does seem to be way over white, with short bar codes and the wrong "PSA" name font. I can see how this would fool collectors though. Again, scanned images and photo's a easy to dupe. Would like to see the slab edges and flip backs though.

Kevin

------------------------------

www.AlteredCards.com - in-depth education on advanced card doctoring techniques & detection with detailed examples