View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
My question is always with back stamp dates. They are a great tool in so many ways, but can also be very deceiving. I have seen type 1 photos from Bain and others that were stamped decades later by news services and archives. I have then seen other similar photos stamped a few years after the publication date that are absolutely type 1 photos that were simply stamped by a library or archive when they got the photo. So a 1910 photo that was made in 1910 and not date stamped could have been given to a different archive that stamps their photos in 1918 and all of the sudden it is a type 2 because of the date stamp.

I have said before and I will again, the 2 year thing a totally arbitrary and random number which means absolutely nothing. A photo expert can tell whether a photo is of the right time period or not and very few will have the right documentation to certify them as original type 1 photos.

As a side what will happen once Type 1 photos start selling for huge premiums are
1. Fake Back Stamps and date stampings
2. Obliteration of legit stampings that might be 3-4 years later to pass a photo within the 2 year period
3. Additional photo alterations to try and cash in on this 2 year timeline.

I like the idea but hate the 2 year limit for a type 1.

Rhys
You are spot-on Rhys and I completely agree with you that Two years is cutting it too thin. Common sense would tell me that a print off the original negative in 1907 is really no different than one in 1917. Same process, like paper, and most likely developed by the same photographer.

So, I would like to see a staggered system in place. For instance, photos from 1900-1920 would have a TEN year window. 1921-1935 a 5-7 year window. I drew the line at 1935 due to the advent of wire photo machines came into use in 1935. 1936-1960 it would be 3-4 years, and 1961-1980 2-3 years as laser photos took over from there.

Now this is just off the top of my head but I'm sure you get what I'm driving at.

Regardless, it's nice to see this long overdue step being taken by PSA.

I would love to hear everybody's take on this...