View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM

I'm the photo advisor to Beckett and I don't use the terms Type I etc. If someone at Beckett says Type II, I sometimes have to look up what it means as I've forgotten.

Type I, Type II etc is was a system I think devised by PSA to label photos. All one really has to know is type I means original.

I would like note what I do at Beckett. I don't physically handle or assign labels to photos, just occasionally answer questions about tough photos. Beckett is in Dallas and I'm in Seattle. I did originally meet the folks at Beckett in person before they started.

I always am happy give advice via email to collectors, and often do about photos. Don't worry I'm not a marketer and don't make commission. In fact, the head of grading at Beckett said one specific reason they asked me to be adviser is I was known in the hobby who was impartial, judging things on the facts and not having alterior motives. To prove this, I will state I've seen PSA authenticated photos and I thought the LOA's description were accurate, I think the Mastro Guide is good and I've already stated I'm not a fan of grading photos (authenticating is fine). I've never owned, bought or sold an entombed photo and have owned perhaps 8 professionally graded cards in my entire life. I've advised REA on photographs, but have never won or consigned anything to their auctions. I did bid once, but was probably outbid by the next day! REA's stuff is too expensive!

There are a number of other folks on this sitie who are knowledgeable about photos and can offer sage advice on that wirephoto or tintype.

David : webiste

Last edited by drc; 06-15-2010 at 12:38 PM.