View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes I have faded black. The big thing is that different years, brands, and even front to back of the cards react differently. The card the OP has does very easily fade, especially the backs.

Another member was asking about that specific year so I faded one and saved him a bunch of $. Guy on eBay was trying to sell a faded card as a rare error.

I really have no idea how long it would take in a window because there are a ton of variables involved there. I wont say how I do it but guarantee it is not sticking a card in a window.
I've been impressed with your experiments for quite a while, and I agree that nothing good would come from sharing the method.

Fading black is even more impressive. Of all the colors that's the one that has the least potential to fade. Inks using carbon pigments really won't fade ever, the ones that can fade are chemical colorants. I remember making ink with my chemistry set as a kid, and the experiment included changing black to blue and back to black by adding chemicals. I don't recall what they were.
That the black some years can fade is cool because it's basically proof that those inks used a dye for black instead of carbon.
The stamps I collect were made during a changeover between forms of carbon, and show loads of evidence of the printer continually altering the ink to try to get them to print correctly.