View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Out of curiosity what do those of you actively pursuing the set do about the checklists? I had a thought to have Peter Ueberroth sign them as he was commissioner in 1987. Does anyone have other ideas of who would be best to put on them? Or do you simply discount these cards?
I have them signed by people who were involved in the 1987 year but don't have a card.

I was a big A's fan growing up, so I have some obscure A's people for some of the checklists.

#128 - I have 2 outstanding requests. Mike Gallego (A's) and Joe Wathan (Cubs interim manager).

#264 - Sandy Alderson - A's GM in 1987

#392 - Working on Dave Duncan, Rene Lachemann, and Dave McKay (A's coaches in 1987)

#522 - Frank Lucchesi (Royals 3d manager after Howser and Gardner)

#654 - Billy Williams w/ HOF 1987 inscription

#792 - Peter Uebberoth (Commissioner in 1987) - great signer but he signs in ballpoint (I've tried twice - both ballpoint and one signed on the back)

#132T - Walt Weiss w/ Oakland A's 7/12/1987 inscription - Debut

I may upgrade some of the CLs. Thinking McGwire and Santiago w/ 87 ROY inscriptions, Frank Viola w/ 87 WS MVP Inscription, Bell and Dawson w/ 87 MVP inscriptions, or Clemens and Bedrosian w/ 87 Cy Young inscrptions. Takes some cash as McGwire w/ an inscription runs $155 through a private signing on SCN. I'm also picky as Big Mac had a very different signature early on than he does now. My Mac #366 has the old signature.

I won't upgrade the Williams HOF, Ueberroth, or Weiss Traded.

Also - I have Bill Mazeroski on the Clemente TBTC since they were teammates and Maz is a HOFer. Most people seem to try for his kid or wife. I'd rather have Maz, that's just me.

If you have any other questions about this set (players, returns, etc), let me know. I'm pretty far submerged in it so I feel that I have a lot of knowledge on this particular set.

Last edited by rschear; 01-19-2019 at 11:55 PM.