View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 05:19 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Demand for the truly esoteric, rare coins such as certain colonials and territorial gold, i.e., fewer than 20 or so in existence has resulted in quite linear and substantial appreciation, decade after decade. See also the book, "100 Greatest U.S. Coins"--great well-known rarities have done exactly the same thing for more than 50 years. Same with rare classic cars (you could have bought all six Shelby Daytona Cobras for $12,000 in the late '60's. Now, they are 8 figures apiece when you can get someone to part with theirs. With cards, just make sure it's a truly significant piece, such as a 1923-24 Exhibit Ruth, Felix Mendelsohn 1917-1920 M 101-6 Ruth (or maybe, just maybe, the 1924-25 Exhibit Champions Ruth), or something like or akin to one of the rare Cobb rookies noted above, and you will see the same results over time. That said, the '52 Topps Mantle, while commonly considered iconic, is quite readily available. Collectibles with those characteristics in other fields have been cyclical, going up and down in value over time. Not my opinion, simply fact. It is merely my personal preference to go after those cards of Mantle and other HOF'ers which few other collectors will ever have in their collection. To each his own, but I believe you are quite wise to pick this time to sell that one.

All that really counts is that your collecting is filled with pleasure. May it be so,

Larry
Thanks Larry

Everyone has to remember to collect what they love first and foremost for sure!

Does a half bordered 1923-24 White Border Babe Ruth still count?

I'm like the guy finding one of those few shelbys in a junk yard before it's scrapped I guess.

I like the Foxx Leon, probably the only one of those I've seen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30338937144_8afde1fc21_k.jpg (77.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by yanksfan09; 11-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.