View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Yes every MLB team can afford the top FA's.

However on the owners side, they still run a team as a business.

Is the team near the luxury tax? What will that cost me if I go over? How does the player fit the team in the coming years? Can the player help me win? Anticipating which players are going to the FA market in the next couple of years? Will I get a return on my money in attendance, merchandise sales not only this year but the years to come? What is the character of the player? Are they a leader or a mentor?

Players side, what's in it for me?

Do I want to win? If so, how long will I have to wait? Will I like the organization? Do I like the community or location? Will this move help my career? Is it only about the money? How important is my legacy with the team I was with prior to FA? Are there family obligations to location?

In terms of how long it has taken for Harper or Machado to sign, teams just aren't going to throw 300M around quickly.

And neither player was in a hurry to sign quickly anyway.

THEY said so themselves.

I'm not sure why other players are upset about how much time has passed.

It seems that the players have forgotten the agents work for the players. The players have received VERY poor advice from their agents.

Moose is a perfect example. Turned down a 17M qualifying offer last year from KC, tested FA and strongly rumored to have turned down a 4 and 60 from the Angels. Ended up signing with KC for 6 or 7 M. This year, reups with the Brewers for 1 year at 10M.

Surprisingly, Moose kept his agent rather than firing him. Boras.

The agents have failed to adjust to a changing market for the players.

Teams will spend, they're just being smarter with the dollars.

Players in their early 30's are not going to get a 5yr deal. 2 maybe 3, but not 5.

Kimbrel wanting all sorts of years and cash.....many times closers are interchangeable . Does a team spend the cash for Kimbrel or look internal or at a reasonable external player with a closer mentality?

Again, the agent needs to be in touch with market climate and honest with his client, the player. Teams are viewing Kimbrels ask as unreasonable.

There's no collusion. Owners are spending smarter. Time will tell if the Padres spent well on Manny. Hosmer needs to show better.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the FA market plays out and who ends up where.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 02-20-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling