View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 07:52 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Charles,

No man on earth ever did the right thing all the time. What you said I am sure is true, to an extent. Mickey was not a good husband, nor a good father, and the shame-faced mick on the cover of sports illustrated in the early 90s that told of his alcoholism and many misdeeds attested to his own loud and clear self-knowledge of his many blunders and wretched lifestyle much of his life. When he was dying and held his last press conference, he humbly told everyone not to look to him as a role model, or whatever it was.

Few individuals were approached as often for an autograph as Mickey Mantle. If he was under the effect of alcohol, or the Yankees lost the game, and especially if he felt he let the team down and contributed to the loss, you did not want to approach mick with a ball to sign. A dumb kid wouldn't know or understand that, and many adults haven't a clue about such influences and matters.

It is truly surprising Mickey lasted as long as he did with the New York zoo press. But really, you seem very convinced in your hatred of him. Fine. That is your right and freedom to express such bias. I could get started on your Joe DiMaggio, but I won't, unless provoked.

Yeah, in today's media frenzy, no one comes out of it alive.

I won't weary you with why I have such a strong connection to Mickey Mantle. You're not worth the time, and with your attitude, it's none of your business anyway.

So, I shall be happy collecting Mickey Mantle. You can stay peeved, and if you ever get over it, hopefully you'll find someone to collect that might keep you happy, at least until you learn more about him.

----Brian Powell
Well said, Brian.

Doesn't look like Mick had any issue with this pic being taken, despite the lack of media.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1597 (Large).jpg (69.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1772.jpg (73.9 KB, 124 views)