View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey guys, this reminds me of......

......back in the early 1990's, I picked up a lot of 26 Allen & Ginter "cards" which included the 10 BB players (Anson, Comiskey, Keefe, Kelly, etc.)
in the N28 set. It was immediately obvious that these pieces were not the original N28 cards. But, were most likely cut out of the Allen & Ginter
album. They sold very quickly, since I priced them reasonably. You could say they were the "poor man's" version of the originals. Shown here is
an additional one of these of Monte Ward.

Similarly, such "cards" have been cut out of the GOODWIN CHAMPIONS (A36) album**. Collectors are willing to acquire these more affordable
pieces, since the actual cards have become very expensive. Furthermore, they are Circa 1888.

In either event, grading company's (GC) will probably grade them. For example, this practice is no different than GC grading and labeling "cards"
that appear to look like the original 1947 BOND BREAD issue....however, these "cards" were issued several years later.

Note **....I really cannot imagine anyone destroying these beautiful 19th Century albums by cutting out the BB images from them.
But, it has occurred.

TED Z
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
Still looking for this T206 guy to complete my EXCLUSIVE 12 red HINDU sub-set (12 subjects)

SHECKARD (glove)