View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps 1981 Coke Yankees--missing one

The SCD Standard Catalog for 2011 ( when it still had the post 1980 listings) listed 12 Topps team sets produced in 1981 for Coca Cola. Eleven of the teamsets were made up of 12 cards, 11 players and one Header team card. The cards are like the regular 1981 Topps card but with a Coke logo. The backs are numbered 1-11. The Header cards allowed you to order a 132 card uncut sheet of 1981 Topps cards. They are not too tough to find

The 12th set, the Yankee team set was apparently not issued at retail. SCD list only 3 known cards, plus the Header card. The 3 players listed are Gossage, Jackson and Cerone.

I have been able to locate 7 others: Guidry, John, Nettles, Dent, Randolph, R Jones and Watson--see below. Since all the other sets involved 11 players, I think there must be one more Yankee, but I do not know who it is. Based on the composition of the other team sets, I believe it will turn out to be an outfielder.

The 3 Yankees listed in SCD are tough, though Larry Fritsch lists them for sale in his Catalog/Web Site, which is where I got those 3. The 7 below are very tough ( Topps Vault). The 11th Yankee card, whoever it is, is my modern era obsession.