View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Hi Publius - I've seen your name on the PSA registry and I think someone said you host the gridiron greats podcast. Thanks for jumping in.

So how can you tell that recently auctioned set was trimmed? Can you show some examples from that set or others in PSA holders?
Dez, the ambassador of football Bob Swick hosted the show, I was the assistant / sidekick. . I had the best seat in the house talking football to the Captain every other week

Of all the sets, I think 48 Leaf is the one I've studied the most. My wife used to call it "catch and release". I would measure every raw and graded leaf card I got, track it on a spreadsheet. I began to see what the normal dimensions of the card was, as the measurements are all over the board, and what was considered trimmed. Soaked em, dried them in books, etc. after awhile you begin to be able to see what's trimmed or at least suspect at a glance, and the majority of the hi end cards in that 200k set are suspect.

I would want to see them in person and measure them, but they look bad, which is bad for the hobby as the people who know, don't bid on trimmed cards. The people who don't know, win them for a deal, VCP tracks it and it dilutes the value of the untrimmed cards

For all that I do know, there's a fella named Scott Alpaugh who teaches me something about the set every time we wrestle in a hotel lobby.

Last edited by Publius; 08-25-2014 at 08:02 AM.