View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 12:24 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
The owner of my local card shop bought like 100 sets of 1986 Topps Update. He sent psa 100 EACH of the Canseco, Bonds, and Bo Jacksons. Mind you, these cards were all in a sealed set until the moment he sent them. Not one card received a PSA 10. Now tell me how a 60 year old card, which for about 30 of those years didn't have much financial value at all, can be pulled out of a pack of gum by some kid, stored god knows how, and remain a 10. I'm not sure, but I don't think they had nice holders for those cards in the 50's and 60's. It's truly amazing. Having have said all that, I just don't see how that card is worth 5-figures more than Peter's 7 (yes, I saw the right border). It is truly insane.
I wondered/asked that same question back in 2016 when I joined the site. I wondered then, not thinking anything fishy was going on, how someone preserved a card/cards for all those years to receive some of the grades they got?
Some answered, which is likely true as well, that those were likely placed in books and the like and long forgotten about.

I recently tried to join a FaceBook card site and the one question I was asked before I was granted admission was, "Who do you think is better, PSA or SGC"?
I answered, I thought SGC was more accurate/harsher/consistent when it came to grading, and I haven't heard a word nor been excepted since.