View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 06:50 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I worked for Guernsey's on that auction which included a number of other items. Authenticating and cataloging.
On auction night I was working and managing the phones and assigned a young woman a bidder name Todd McFarland. I sat next to her as the bidding went into the stratosphere and she trembled every time the bid came back to her. The losing bidder was a new business that wanted to use the ball as a promotion to promote their new product. Ties, yes ties. There would be a coupon inside one of the tie boxes and that could be redeemed for the McGwire ball. They had three people at the auction and everytime the bid came back to them, they went into this long huddle to decide what to do. It was kinda funny watching these people at what seemed to be their first ever auction. They took a lot of time in their huddle but Todd just took about 1 second to keep raising his bid. He was not going to lose it. Nobody actually in the hobby was close in the bidding. Several had indicated that they might bid $1 million but did not.
Great story. Thanks for sharing, Richard.