View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Casey Melchionno

Rick,

What exactly are you referring to when you say that? That I am playing stupid? It is obvious, the story that is being talked about here is about an "auction letter of authenticity". That means the item was only briefly looked at. Maybe even possibly through an image on the computer rather than in person. And images in 1999 were far from what they are today. That means no machinery was used for this "quick opinion" such as that crazy machine he has available when items are fully authenticated. In fact, since this item was sold by the same auction house twice, this item probably never was fully authenticated. Rather, auction LOA's both times. Which would mean Spence did not take pictures of the item for his exemplars or to put in the letter. So in that case, he would not have pictures on hand from the first time he authenticated that item in 99.

What is stupid is buying an item for 20K based solely on an auction letter. An auction letter is in now way a guarantee it will pass a full authentication process. More like the 7 dollar PSA quick opinion offered on ebay, in a fancier form. So tell me Rick, what exactly is your argument here? I am not playing the "honest guy", rather I am pointing out things from this article that do not add up and people may not be aware of.