View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Casey Melchionno

Travis, Yes I believe auction letters are not worth a darn. if you print out a quick opinion offered on ebay I believe it is worth the same as an auction letter. And it is not Spences fault the auction house decided not to fully authenticate the item. If someone is to blame here, I would blame the auction house. Such a valuable item should be fully authenticated to eliminate any doubt for the buyer and reduce their own responsibility. I am sure Spence would have rather fully authenticated the item and take pics for his registry, but that is up to the auction house. Is it possible they wanted auction letters for a reason? In this case, it is self explanatory why they would.

And yes I keep hearing about the same story over and over again about the Sayers autograph. Everybody knows it happened, at least they made good for it and took it off the market. That is one instance. And the 50 instances you mentioned, should not include items they turned down. Only should include the ones they did infact pass when they should not have. Which does not happen very often, but of course it does happen. Why? because if they have any doubt they usually don't pass it. Hence why so many people hate them. And I would rather keep it that way. If they start passing items they have doubt on, at what point does it stop? Next thing you know they would be passing everything and end up like the rest of terrible authenticators out there. I would rather them keep their standards strict and not forgiving.