View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Default Slightly OT - PSA grading

Posted By: davidcycleback

Grading and assigning a grade are reasonable services. However, collectors who take the 1-10 grade on the label too seriously are foolish. In practice, grading isn't entirely consistant-- meaning there is a built in margin of error and a built in subjectivity. Even PSA collectors talk about PSA graders who grade harder than others ("Grader of Death")-- meaning, even they acknowledge an inconsistancy in the grading. This is why I wonder about collectors who consistantly pay more for a Gem Mint 10 when they see no difference between it and an offered Mint 9. This is known as collecting numbers, as the only thing known to the purchaser to be different is a number machine printed a paper label. The inconsistancy in grading assures that the 10 isn't necesarilly a better condition card, and there's a fair chance that resubmission of the cards will result in different grades .... Duly note that I'm talking about cards that appear identical in condition. I'm sure there are many cases where someone buys a 10 as it appears clearly nicer looking and better centered and focused than a same time offered 9. Note that this this person is purchasing based on the looks of the card in conjunction with the assigned grade, rather than paying a premium because of the number alone.

Here's my rhetorical question. Many people resubmit 4s and 5s and 7s and 8s or 9s in an attempt to get a different grade, often as they honestly feel the card was undergraded. How many people crack and resubmit 10s? Someone looking at the answer might deduce that the 10s must have the worst degree of accuracy in grade as 10s are by far the least likely to be resumbitted for correction. How many people would resubmit their graded 8 T206 because they think it should get a 9 or a 10? Quite a few. How many people would resubit their grade 10 T206 because they think it should or could get a 9 or an 8? Approximately none.