View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
But now who is driving the demand to bring the prices up to crazy high levels? I doubt it is the 70 year old shelling out big time coin this late in their life.
Good point, its probably not 70 year olds driving the prices up like crazy.

For the really top end stuff like this you`ve obviously got a pretty small core group of wealthy collectors who drive the prices. I`m guessing this group only consists of a couple hundred people max and they are likely to be pretty diverse in terms of ages (ranging from 20 something tech millionaires or finance guys to older rich guys) and thus not as succeptible to the same demographic shifts that the collector market as a whole is (made up primarily of middle class people who can`t afford to drop 50k or even 1k on a card).

I guess my previous comment probably relates more to the market for us mere mortals who collect mid-range stuff. Prices on PSA 4 cards (or thereabouts) of the post-war era are probably way more vulnerable to estate-sale related price drops in the future than PSA 9 or 10 cards of the stars which by now mostly reside in the hands of 1 percenters and probably won`t be flooding the market. Not sure if those will ever go down...