View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
It's an interesting hypothesis, but I'm not so sure it will come to pass. As the baby boomers expire, there is bound to be a proportionate increase in the supply of prewar cards as well as postwar. Demand is not so easy to forecast either, because collectors don't just gravitate to cards of players they are familiar with. After all, the baby boomers are loaded with cards of Ruth, Gehrig, Ty, Christy, and Walter, all players they never saw play. So the legends, I think, will always be in demand, regardless of the era.
Yeah, you could be right about that, I`m just kind of speculating (my father is in his 70s now and handed down his collection to me last year. I collect cards so they are staying with me, but it got me thinking about other people my age who`ll be receiving their parent`s collections but aren`t collectors themselves).

One thing I wonder about though is the seeming price/ supply discrepancy between pre and post war cards. Post-war stuff is available in much larger quantities (rare PSA 9s and 10s aside) but the prices relative to the much harder to find pre-war stuff doesn`t seem to fully reflect that, which I think is partly a result of the post-war stars still being pursued by people with a living memory of them. I could be wrong, but I have a hard time coming up with other explanations for it.