View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 12:10 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I think people's perspective is shaped by what their goal is with their collection. I have commented many times on your wrestling cards, since I was a huge fan of wrestling growing up. To me, I would derive as much (or more) joy from your Rax Roast Beef set as from a high-grade Andre or Hulk Hogan card from the Wrestling All-Stars set that is worth a couple thousand dollars.

Some of my favorite cards I own are only $200-300 cards, but I like them more than cards that are worth more but could be replaced any day of the week simply by going to eBay.

With $5,000 or $25,000 or even $100,000 to put into one card, I would rather have an absolute rarity than a condition rarity. That's not a criticism of your choice in collecting, but just an observation that many collectors have a different methodology for how they collect.

I personally don't think there is one correct way to collect. Some of my cards are rare and most are rare simply because they are in nice condition. I personally got way more enjoyment out of tracking down that set than I do paying through the nose for some bum in a PSA 10 just to add it to my registry set.

When the topic of money in the hobby came up I really didn't give much thought to wrestling cards other than the highest graded have done the best and continue to do so. The wrestling card market is so small and most cards even in high grade are very affordable. I was speaking more in terms of the major sports as that is where real money is spent and card prices obviously for top level pieces go into the millions.

I personally don't buy the idea that there is going to be some day right around the corner when the demand just fizzles right out. Look how easily the cards Donald Spence sold were absorbed. Cards represent history and just because someone didn't see them play doesn't mean they won't have an interest. The two most expensive cards I have ever seen pictures of are owned by someone in their thirties. Mickey Mantle was retired well before he was even born.