View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 PM

Default WWII Navy World Series- 1944 & 1945

Hi Jeff,
Yes, because of my interest in Johnny Vander Meer I know a fair amount about the first WWII World Series in 1944 that pitted the Navy squad vs. the Army Squad. The Vander Meer & Co. Navy squad crushed the Joe DiMaggio & Co. Army squad in this series.

BTW, I've posted on this topic before, but it's been probably 2-3 years. I actually was unaware that there was a 1945 series & I love the photo postcards that you posted & wish that I had the 1944 version of these.
At least it gives me something else to look for. BTW, I believe that they are possibly postcards as you suspect, but know that this photographer also did individual photos with no typing on the back. The same Navy photographer took this original photo of Vandy warming up prior to his second win in the series. The photo was also taken at Furlong Field and came out of Vandy's personal scrapbook & I do believe that photos and postcards like these are quite rare and not mass produced, FWIW. I haven't ever seen others, but maybe someone else has that can chime in.
EarlyWynnfan5 Ken on net54 has an EXTENSIVE WWII collection. You may want to reach out to him, because he certainly may be able to add more detail about the 1945 series.

Here are some of the artifacts that I collected surrounding the 1944 WWII World Series.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-18-2017 at 07:50 AM.