Thread: Topps Super
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeson View Post
The Gelman owned Card Collectors Company was the major supplier of this and other test sets. They did in fact suffer a major fire, making these test sets even scarcer.

I purchased some singles from Bill Haber at one of the first NYC shows. He had them spread across a little table. There was no Mantle, but I did pick up Aaron and Clemente for about a dollar each!
Thanks, Howie, for your elaboration to the "Topps fire". You make perfect sense; Topps just printed their cards in those days, and only sold to candy wholesalers/dealers. For the exotic test issues, I've heard they were available at an exclusive very few Brooklyn area candy shops, but most of all, to just whom you spoke of---Topps employee and part-time mail order firm owner, Woody Gelman. I had forgotten about Woody and his company. Obviously, fellow Topps employee Bill Haber was able to secure a few items now and then ....

Wow, Roberto and The Hammer for a buck apiece, and I still remember how nice their respective cards looked. That NYC show must have been in 1972 as well, or at least no later than 1973. Anyways, thanks again for chiming in. --- Brian Powell