View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 02:05 PM
An$on

This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. So cool, in fact, that I'm going to tackle one.

I'd like to put one together using inexpensive, but significant cards from my collecting. For example, the very first card I ever got was a John McNamara 1986 Topps card. Woof.

For me, Dwight Gooden was my favorite player growing up and my first 'expensive' card was a Gooden 1987 Topps that I paid like $2.00 for as a 9-year old kid. A Gregg Jefferies 1989 Topps rookie card was one of my first big 'pulls'. A 1981 Fleer card since I found a pile of them in my grandfather's attic and no one knew how the heck they got in there. Crap like that.

I've got dozens of these types of memories of cards from the 1980s and 1990s and nearly all of them are commons or throwaways.

I know about Burbank Sportscards and their whole $1.00 for commons deal. Can anyone recommend dealers with large common inventories that don't charge an arm and a leg for them? I want to do this project, but don't want to pay $150.00 for it, no matter how cool it might look.