View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Default Could that be someone other than Foley White in the white border tobacco cards, T206???

Posted By: Art M.

Very interesting thread!

I seem to remember that late in the 1930's someone first listed the T-206 card checklist but cannot find that information right now.
In 1963 Frank Nagy did publish a checklist of the T-206 cards:

Michigan collector Frank Nagy, writing in the hobby publication The Sport Hobbyist, publishes his checklist for the T-206 set. The cards are laid out with Major Leaguers first, then Minor Leaguers, and finally the Southern League players. A listing for Sweeney, Boston, with plain white uniform is included. Nagy also listed 19 different backs for the T-206 cards. The three additional backs were Coupon (known now as T-213), Red Cross (known now as T-215), and Hustler Cigarettes. The Hustler brand has never been verified with a baseball subject front.

In January 1966, Richard S. Egan publishes his book T-206 Cigarette Baseball Cards, Part One, Baseball Series, White Borders 1909-1910. Mr. Egan listed the cards by team in alphabetical order, Major Leaguers first, then Minor Leaguers, and finally the Southern Leaguers. Known as “Egan’s List”, this checklist is generally adopted as the official T-206 checklist. Egan listed the correct 16 back types and noted that a red printed Hindu had been seen. He makes reference to the existence of Piedmont factory 42 back; but states this has not been verified. There is no mention of the Lenox back with brown printing. Egan discusses the mysterious Hustler cigarettes back, but indicates this has not been verified. Richard Egan told me personally a few years ago that he never owned or saw a T-206 with Hustler brand back.

Previously (2-3 years ago maybe?) there was a thread regarding the three T-206 cards picturing Howie Camnitz. I believe that a document was uncovered that stated Howie Camnitz would not participate in the American Tobacco company issue unless his younger brother Harry Camnitz was included. There is a strong probability that one of the three Howie Camnitz cards is supposed to be Harry Camnitz.

Art M.