View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Default E90-1 Series Mystery solved?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

1st.....My answer to your ?....is that I cannot identify 30 Subjects in in the 1910 (last)
series.
In my first post here I noted....."the 1st series of the E90-1 set was issued in 1908 and
comprised of 30 (or perhaps 40) cards". I said 30-card sheets because we have seen a
complete uncut E93 sheet. And, most of the Caramel sets were printed in the greater
Philadelphia area by the same printing firm.

However, I've studied the E91 set (also American Caramel), and I think it was printed on
36-card sheets. Since the E90 set immediately followed the E91 set, the E90 may have
also been printed on 36-card sheets.

That would give us 108 cards, of which 8 were Double-Printed (DP) in the 1908 and 1909
series. The 1910 series, I maintain, only consists of 20 different Subjects. They were most
likely printed on a 36-card sheet (and, within this sheet there had to be 16 DP's). However
like most any other last (or High #) series these 20 Subjects were indeed Short-Printed.

Now you raise a interesting question regarding these 3 Subjects. They are tougher than
most E90's.

Bemis (Clev).....possibly in the last (SP) series
Bescher (Cinci).....possibly in the last (SP) series
Fromme (Cinci).....possibly in the last (SP) series

and these three....I have already identified them in the last (SP) series

Donlin.....I'm not certain of Donlin, and we may substitute one of the above 3 Subjects.
Keeler (Red-horiz-NY Giants)
Lobert

Finally, Lajoie, Overall, Dougherty, and Wagner (throwing) were not in the 1910 series.
But, were most likely in the 1909 series whose cards are less available than the 1908
series.

TED Z