View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 01:35 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am curious why Ted Williams always gets left off the list of most important "vintage" ballplayers. Clemente/Jackie make sense from a cultural perspective, and obviously Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb and Wagner are pre-war titans. But, how is Ted Williams not part of the Aaron, Mays, Mantle level? It is not one or two omissions, he is consistently on a lower tier when I have seen folks listing the best player cards by era (whereas, he is almost always Top 10 by baseball analysts compiling "best of" lists). As someone newer to vintage collecting than many of the long-timers here, I am wondering why his performance is viewed as less significant than his contemporaries in the 40s-50s.
I do agree Williams and DiMaggio don't get the respect in the hobby that they deserve. Maybe because they didn't have many cards issued during their playing days.

Picked this one up a while back. I think signed vintage also has plenty of room to grow if looking for an investment opportunity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210321-210224_Chrome.jpg (200.6 KB, 406 views)