View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Steve

"...I hate with a passion what has happened to the publishing industry. Reading books, newspapers, hobby price guides, and magazines on line simply isn't the same in terms of its depth, scope ,and enjoyment. Just as the remote control added to the ADD problem, the internet ushering in the demise of the print industry is adding to the dumbing down of America."

Good points there, John, and I agree with most of them, but how 'bout this: the target audience for such a book would most likely be collectors who are well past the age of youthful fascination with the hobby. That is, those of us remaining who recall mid-50's regional issues from our youth. And, speaking strictly for myself, my eyes lost the ability to adjust focus on most printed media a couple of years ago, as just a consequence of ageing. Text on a digital monitor is now the only type that I can comfortably read, with or without artificial lenses. That may, in fact, be contributing to my continued dumbing down, but, if it ends up being the only reading material available, so be it.