View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
For me (and this is just my perspective) there are 2 ways to look at this. One can view it as a collection of signatures (for which one can start considering the value of the individual signatures etc and work from there) or as a piece that captures a time and story in history.

For me a lot depends on how much story can be attached to it. The more specific and more detailed, the more (to me) it captures a time in history, and the story of an individual (as WWII created a shadow over the whole world) getting a chance to meet some of the great ballplayers of the day, getting their signatures, and experiencing baseball in a way that pretty much ceased to exist for a few years afterwards (and ultimately changed dramatically with all the changes that occurred after WWII, including but not limited to integration.)
Top, as a signed ball collector, I think you could look at it, as all of the above. It IS a moment in time. A specific moment. They were there to sign the ball, and it usually it happens the same day.

The tricky stories come out when you have an unexplained auto on a ball- a batboy, a bus driver, trainer, secretary, umpire, or a scout. It really makes researching, a time intensive effort.

Other head scratching autos come from some unexplained appearance from someone within baseball appearing at a game for any of unknown reasons. Its also possible baseballs were harder to come by and this was the signed ball kind of thing, so lets get it signed.

Kudos for the effort put forth. Witster

Last edited by witster; 11-05-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: edited for spelling