View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Corey: In all honesty, I trust my opinion of a card more than either PSAs or SGCs (as I’m sure you do) and do not rely on either to tell me if a card is good. My reasons for slabbing a card would be protection and/or resale value and with those criteria I think PSA is the clear winner.
That's fair, and certainly in regard to CdVs, cabinet and trade cards, if I was to rely on anyone other than myself as to questions of authenticity or alteration, it would not be a grading company.

Where we differ pertains to more conventional baseball cards. Being more a memorabilia collector than a card collector and not handling that many cards, I do not regard myself as having more expertise in detecting fakes/alterations than an experienced card grader. And rightly or wrongly I perceive SGC to have more experienced and knowledgeable graders than PSA. So for those conventional-type baseball cards in this era of high values and prolific counterfeiting and alteration, I probably would feel more comfortable having SGC look at it than relying solely on my own opinion.