View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

My guess at first glance is that is trimmed and I believe it would came back as such if submitted. You can tell from the amount of border left on top compared to the bottom. If it was just miscut the top would have much more showing but as you can see from the scan the top is close to be same in diameter as the sides.
As far as how prevalent within the hobby my opinion is it isn't happening as often as it used to before TPG's. I think it was easier to pull the wool over buyers eyes 20 or so years ago. The internet has given every on the ability to quick look up a card to see different examples in different grades instantly. I remember only knowing what a card might look like from a grainy photo in a collecting magazine.
People at more wise to it too. That's not to say there are not still those dong it I just think it's as common of practice as it used to be. However, all the cards that were trimmed before are still out there somewhere so they will surface. It's just a matter of time.
I'm sorry about your experience. I hope the seller steps up and offers a refund. That is such a classic beauty if a card I would hate to think every time you think of it you have a bad taste in your mouth instead of seeing the card for how it was intended.
Best of luck,
Drew