View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Steve

Default Topps "candy" was not Snickers, so some regerts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Topps 1951 Current All Star cards of Stanky, Konstanty and Roberts
Al, I feel your pain. In the winter of '51-52,' when I was seven years old, my brother and I used to spend hours loitering in a small mom n' pop, where our old man parked us on Friday nights so that he could bowl undisturbed in the lanes next door. The proprietor was a withered old guy who didn't seem to mind us sitting on his floor all night, using his comic racks as a library. He also apparently had a lot of inventory that did not move well, as I can still recall a large table with dozens of boxes of sports waxpacks priced at several for a penny. Despite working with no more than the fifty cents each the old man allowed us, my brother and I easily put together complete sets of redbacks, bluebacks, team cards, Connie Mack and Current All-Stars from that bargain table that winter. We had numerous duplicates of the all-star cards, but of course could not find the last three of the eleven current players. If we had known that Topps would have mailed us proof copies of the three cards, I think we would have happily parted with another two bits back then.