View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The 90 Thomas and the Wiggins/Flanagan pair shown are entirely unrelated errors.

The Wiggins/Flanagan is from water or solvent dripping onto the plate or blanket in the press. It's a fairly common error for the era, but finding a matched pair is very cool. It's also the sort of error that is probably unique or nearly so.

The Thomas is from some debris, probably tape blocking some of the black plate from being exposed when it was being made. A printing error, but a recurring one. Probably uncommon since the plate would have been replaced pretty quickly. I'd call it a variation, since it's the result of a different plate. Others might not because of the unintentional nature of the error.

Steve B

Steve B,

You're right in regards to the solvent/debris on plate difference...I suppose comparing the Thomas NNOF to the 86's was a mistake, however, there ARE many examples similar to the NNOF that are not recognized, like the '63 ERA Leaders card I showed earlier in the thread, and most notably, the other partial blackless '90 Topps cards from the same sheet like these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90 topps blackless JulioFrancoAS.jpg (79.3 KB, 940 views)
File Type: jpg 90 topps blackless biggio a.s..jpg (78.1 KB, 939 views)
File Type: jpg 90 topps blackless lawton.jpg (77.0 KB, 938 views)