View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Default 1954 NY Journal American Cards

I am Jim B that Leon referred to earlier in this thread, and I am looking forward to participating more fully on this forum.
As for 1954 NY Journal American "cards," I do remember them. They are on heavy paper stock, not cardboard. They had a black and white photo of a Yankee, Giant or Dodger on the front and the 1954 team schedule on the back. On the front were also a number and information on how to win cash if your number appeared in the newspaper (so you had to keep buying the newspaper).
The cards were either handed out to buyers of the newspaper or inserted in the newspaper. In either case, I remember that buyers either threw them away or they fell out of the newspaper. I retrieved many of them as they blew into bushes outside the drug store near Hartford CT where I bought primarily Topps baseball cards. No one really collected them that I was aware of, especially with the cool-looking 1954 Topps cards and even the Bowman cards. But I liked anything with a baseball player's image on it, so I would look for them, and still own a few today. Sold a great looking Mantle about 20 years ago.
Are they cards? Some may say yes, some no, but they are an interesting issue.