Thread: Prewar Cards
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Pretty similar here. The first I was aware of older cards was 73-74 I saw a buying ad for the Wagner in I think sporting news about the same time the 74 Hank Aaron specials came out. A couple years later a kid at school swapped me a 68 Matthews for a couple cards he needed. Probably came from his older brothers cards. Then in 77 I moved to Arlington Mass, and casually asked one of the kids I met about baseball cards. Turns out I'd moved to one of the few towns with a full time shop. (Halls Nostalgia) There I saw all sorts of wonders! 50's cards, bowmans, goudeys, and t206s. It's been pretty much downhill since then. And yeah, there's loads of stuff I regret not buying.

On the plus side, I hung out there pretty regularly, and got to look at a lot of old cards, as well as getting to see a few old collections as they came in. Great experience.

Steve B
Hey Steve,

I grew up almost next door in Watertown, and discovered Hall's Nostalgia as a 10-year old in 1983. For some reason I really loved their older cards, and I was hooked into buying vintage from them right away! I still go to their monthly auctions - Dave, Joel and Walt are great guys...