View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Sam Lemoine

Been there - done that. I was on the registry and I was trying like heck to get high on the rankings in lots of sets. I collect baseball, basketball, and football. I was a few cards away from a 1954 Bowman football set in all 8's or higher, when I bought a lot of about 13 cards on ebay from a seller hoping to get one of the ones I needed to send off to PSA. I paid $65 for the lot and it included George Blanda and a few other names. The cards were probably in the 4-6 range.

Over the next few weeks I started thinking about the thousands of dollars I had in this one set and the $65 I spent picking up some great looking Vg-Ex to Ex Mint cards. I sold that Bowman set, and I've gradually sold most of my graded stuff. I realize that Vg-Ex to Ex on 1950's cards is just fine for me.

As far as being disappointed, I think it goes about 50/50. I get cards that are described as Ex-Mint that are clearly VG at best. At other times, I get cards that are described as Vg-Ex that I can't find a single flaw. The best is when cards have no grades, but the seller just says "see photos". Two weeks ago I took a chance and for $115 from one seller with crappy photos I got a 1957 Aaron, a 1960 Aaron, a 1961 Yaz, a 1961 Marichal rookie, and a 1961 Santo rookie. The Aaron was probably Vg-Ex, and the other four were Ex-Mint to Near Mint. I couldn't have bought those cards graded for anywhere near $115. So, into my raw sets they go!

So glad that I am cured from the registry!

Sam

Last edited by PowderedH2O; 08-15-2015 at 01:51 PM.