View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Default Show & Tell us your favorite BB events

Posted By: Joann

By far, it's the last game at Tiger Stadium.

Of course, all tickets to the last game and last weekend were long gone. I decided in mid to late August to buy what was left of a mini-package just so I'd be on the list for the next year at Comerica Park. I discovered that I could get regular season tickets for the rest of the season, and a price pro-rated to include only remaining games. Including the last weekend. Huh? Best kept secret in town.

So for the last 6 weeks of that season I had seats in the third row of the upper deck in right field - I was ON the famous overhang. It was awesome. Went to every weekend game and a few weeknight games.

The last game at Tiger Stadium was completely great. Of course, everyone was very aware that any HR could be the last home run in the stadium. Karim Garcia hit one out to right center in the middle innings and we all figured that was it.

In the 7th or 8th inning Rob Fick came up with the bases loaded. He hit one toward us that was a towering shot, and straight as a laser - not a tidge of hook or slice to it. My heart about exploded because it was clearly coming RIGHT AT US.

At some point we could tell it was going to go over our heads into the stands behind. I kept my eyes peeled on that ball as it kept climbing directly, exactly over my head and then .... disappeared. I mean - whoosh it was just plain gone. Over the roof. He cleared the roof in right field and it was right over where we were sitting.

There is no baseball moment I can think of or imagine that will ever top the last game at TS, and in particular what it felt like to watch Rob Fick's homer disappear directly overhead.

Pictures? Yes, I have them. But I guess I'll own up to what a general life-putz I can be. They are still in a film roll. Along with every other picture I've taken since 1998. For some reason I just stopped getting pics developed and the pile grew so large I never took them in. Someday I will though, and will have pictures from that day. For now I don't need them - I easily remember all of it.

Joann