View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
To even bring up Mantle's name when discussing Namath shows me that you know nothing about professional sports. There is a reason why boomers worship him and that's because they watched him go to the World Series twelve times (and win seven of them). He also set many World Series records which still have not been broken today, won the Triple Crown, got over 500 HRs, I could go on and on. Mantle dominated his era, period.

Willie Mays was the better player, yes, but having only one ring will always hurt him. The same goes for Hank Aaron - only one ring. Jackie Robinson doesn't even belong in this debate. He is popular for different reasons.

I think if you wanted to do a comparison, putting Mantle's name next to Tom Brady would make a lot more sense. Brady wasn't the most talented QB of his era, but he knew how to win, and he did it again and again.

And the last thing I want to say is that I've been shopping around for a decent-looking Mantle rookie for months now and I've spoken to so many owners, and guess what? Majority of them are under the age of forty-five. It looks like the boomers have already passed on their 'Mantle love' to the next generation!
Bill Russell won 11 rings for the Boston Celtics, but the Jordan and LeBron rookie cards are more sought after. I guarantee Tom Brady rookie cards will be more sought after than the Joe Namath rookie cards in the end.
I go by volume. More people are buying Tom Brady cards than Namath.
plus we will see about Mantle in 10 years.
I rather invest in Jackie Robinson and Babe Ruth cards. They seem to have not peaked yet.