View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default I think we all knew this already

Posted By: James Feagin

I grew up in the mid-eighties and some of my fondest memories surround these pieces of cardboard that are now worthless. I remember the utter jubilation of ripping a 1986 Topps box for $12 after saving my allowance for 6 weeks. I stuffed that stale gum in my face left and right, it was a feeling I never wanted to end. I remember staying up HOURS the night before the Columbia, Maryland Hilton show. In those days, most of my peers collected everything. Sportflics, 1986 Topps, 1952 Topps, t206, Goudey, whatever it was, we collected it. In 1992 the wax pack died, I was 17 and moved on to girls. I came back 7 years later, but it was never exactly the same. As for music, I could write articles and volumes (I already have), about consumer culture and music's death as an art-form. The 1980's, my childhood, was listening to the Smiths (I grew up a complete Morrissey wannabe) while ripping 30cent packs of cards. Conniving my mom to by endless amounts of Drakes, M&Ms, Meadow Gold, Jiffy Pop, Honeycomb cereal, it wasn't a tough sell at all.