View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
I don't mean to stray too much off topic, but since it's related to storage of autographs, does anybody have any experience of how autographs were affected by UV glass/holders? I have some ball holders that are both plastic and glass as well as UV glass frames and was just wondering how good of a job do they actually deter fading. I don't like hiding all my signed items all the time from indirect sunlight. I like putting them on my shelf, bookcase, etc.

Any thoughts or personal experience on that?
From what I understand UV cases and frames can eliminate 98% of the UV light (such as UltraPro). So if you're using lighting sources that still emit UV, even after an extended and prolonged period time those UV cases and frames will still allow for deterioration.

Switching to LED only lighting sources will help to eliminate deterioration even more. Some industry sources claim that LEDs produce no UV radiation. This actually isn’t true. LEDs do produce a small amount of UV, but they emit even less. That’s because the small amount that is produced is converted to white light by the phosphors inside the lamp.

Additionally 3M makes window films that can be applied to glass. They claim these films block up to 99% of harmful UV rays.

IMO, your best bet if you decide to display your pieces is this:
Use a room with zero sunlight and use LED lighting only.
Place all items in a individual UV cases or holders (ie UltraPro)
Place all cased/holdered items in a display shelf/case with the 3M UV window film applied over the glass.

This is the best you can do to eliminate fading and deterioration if you decide to display your collection.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by markf31; 05-02-2014 at 12:23 PM.